Friday, April 27, 2007

Weird Karma – A series of unrelated events


For Mouse’s birthday in October, my mom gave her a Klutz Book “How to Tell Time.” It came with a wonderful little watch, perfect for small wrists. Mouse was trying to tell time in no time. A few days after she got it, she lost the watch. We searched high and low, every room, every bag, every coat, the watch was gone.

A few weeks ago, I twisted my ankle. I probably sprained it pretty good, and hobbled around for a few days. I put ice on it, and wrapped it in an ace bandage. It was making good progress, pain was slowly diminishing, and I was walking without a limp again.

Then, to my chagrin, I did it again. I stepped off our back deck, twisted my ankle, and fell down to avoid really doing a lot more damage. Right after I fell, I felt something slide across my chest.

When I turned 21 my dad gave me a watch. I have worn that watch for 23 years. It keeps perfect time. It was a simple Seiko black sports watch with a metal band. The band shows the years of wear and the crystal has been replaced a few times, but it really was my favorite watch. I never took it off except when I went on international travel.

The thing that slid across my chest was my watch. My fall broke the band. For the first time since I was 21, I am not wearing that watch.

Last night as the Mouse was going to bed, she looked down between the mattress and the bed rails, and saw a polka dotted thing. She reached down to pull out – her watch.

No comments: